Friday, June 22, 2012

Relevant or Real?

What is the difference between real and relevant?

To be "relevant" as a teacher means that you incorporate content and/or materials into your lessons that students can relate to or that is popular among your students. This is a way to engage their interests in a lesson. For example, an English teacher may have her students read The Hunger Games or Twilight because they are current and motivating for students. I would say that when a teacher is "real" she always has an answer to the question that teachers always hear. That question is "Why do I need to learn this?" Real means that students make personal connections to what they are learning and use it to benefit their life outside the classroom.

How can I always be real?

I can be real by always connecting lessons to students' real lives. For instance, I would choose books that contain situations that my students may encounter in their lives and have them journal or discuss what they would do in that situation. Also, I may have students read newspaper or magazines articles and come up with their own solutions to the problems they read about. Also, teachers should utilize technology , since this is the way that most students communicate. Blogs, wikis, or social networking sites are great ways for students to collaborate and voice their opinions and feelings on certain topics.

How can I teach for the future?

I think the first thing a teacher needs to do in order to teach for the future is get to know her students. She needs to be aware of their interests, passions and backgrounds. Once she knows that, then she can create lessons that will benefit them long after they leave the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment